Professional Animal Care Permit for Pet Sitters and Dog Walkers
The City of Santa Fe Animal Services Division is dedicated to ensuring the health and well being of the animals. As part of this mission, City Animal Services requires those who offer pet services within boundaries of the City abide by additional regulations.
Business License Ordinance. Business means any commercial activity or enterprise for financial gain, benefit, advantage or livelihood.
Santa Fe City Animal Services Ordinance. Chapter 5 (current 2014 version) requires that breeders and persons operating kennels, grooming parlors, pet shops, animal training, dog walking service, pet sitting service, circus acts, or shelters obtain an annual professional care permit at cost of $250. It shall expire December 31 of each calendar year, and shall be renewed by February 1 of the following year.
Dear Pet parents, I encourage you to read this document. You may need to refresh your knowledge about City requirements and you may find some changes compare to old Ordinance.
What is new:
– Professional animal care business means a business operated by a person that involves live animals, and includes, but not limited to, animal rescue, animal shelter, boarding kennel, breeder, grooming parlor, grooming service, commercial kennel, pet day care facility, pet day care service, pet sitting service, pet store, training facility, dog walking service and circus acts.
– Professional animal care permit means a permit issued by the City of Santa Fe Animal Services administrator to a person which involves live animals, and includes, but is not limited to animal rescue, animal shelter, boarding kennel, breeder, grooming parlor, grooming service, commercial kennel, pet day care facility, pet day care service, pet sitting service, pet store, training facility, dog walking service and circus acts.
– Service Animal means a dog or miniature horse that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability.
– Trolley System means a method to confine a dog by tethering the dog to a cable that is 10 feet or longer with a FREE moving pulley device attached that will allow the lead to roll across it, permitting maximum space for single dog to move around.
– A voice command is not an acceptable form of restraint.
– Animals shall not be carried in or upon any vehicle in a cruel, inhumane or unsafe manner. An animal carried in the bed of a truck shall be crated or restrained upon a non-metal mat so it cannot fall or jump from the truck or be strangled.
– It is unlawful for any person to chain, stake-out, graze or herd any animal on any unenclosed premises in such a manner that the animal may go beyond the property line.
– No person shall confine any animal in or upon a motor vehicle that would place the animal in a life or health threatening situation because of exposure to a prolonged period of extreme heat or cold, without proper ventilation or other protection from the heat or cold. In order to protect the health and safety of an animal, an animal services officer or law enforcement officer shall have the authority to enter such motor vehicle by any reasonable means under the circumstances after making a reasonable effort to locate the owner of the motor vehicle.
Author: Pet Angel Irina 505.920.6328